Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Embracing Naw-Ruz

No matter were we may be, we plan to be together for Naw-Ruz, the Persian New year that is celebrated at the very moment of the vernal equinox. To be exact, the hour will strike this year at 13:25:35 Eastern Standard Time. Naw-Ruz signifies perhaps the only hour all Iranians can agree on and recognize as a symbol of national identity regardless of ethnicity or creed. It is a time of family unity, re-establishing ties within the community, and remembering those who are not among us. Shahrzad and I flew to Montreal to observe Naw-Ruz with her family. Tonight, we plan to paint the eggs, not for Easter, but for the table ornate with seven items that share the letter "s" at their beginning. The addition of eggs will signify fertility, as a symbol to look forward to a fruitful year. I will particularly miss Tahereh and Zia, and Shahrzad and Babak, as I celebrate my 12th Naw-Ruz away from home and my immediate family. My prayer this year is to be reunited in this coming year with my family, so that we can all exchange gifts when the hour strikes at the time of the next vernal equinox.

Here is a picture from Hoda's wedding, where the family was together. I will have some Naw-Ruz pictures coming up soon:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home