Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Saturday, June 03, 2006

غزلی از طاهره قرة العين


Táhirih (Arabic: "The Pure One") or Qurratu'l-`Ayn (Arabic: قرة العين‎ ​ "Comfort of the Eyes") are both titles of Fátimih Baraqání (b. 1820, d. 1852), an influential poet and theologian of the Bábí faith. As a prominent Bábí she is highly regarded by Bahá'ís, and often mentioned in Bahá'í literature as an example of courage in the struggle for women's rights. Below, you may find an example of her poetry followed by a translation:


در ره عشقت ای صنم ، شيفته ی بلا منم
چند مغايرت کنی ؟ با غمت آشنا منم
پرده به روی بسته ای، زلف به هم شکسته ای
از همه خلق رسته ای، از همگان جدا منم
شير تويی ، شکر تويی، شاخه تويی، ثمر تويی
شمس تويی، قمر تويی، ذره منم ، هبا منم


خواجه ی با ادب تويی، بنده ی بيحيا منم
کعبه تويی ، صنم تويی، دير تويی، حرم تويی،
دلبر محترم تويی ، عاشق بينوا منم
شاهد شوخ دلربا گفت به سوی من بيا
رسته ز کبر و از ريا ، مظهر کبريا منم
(طاهره) خاک پای تو ، مست می لقای تو
منتظر عطای تو ، معترف خطا منم


In pursuit of your love, O darling
Enamored of afflictions, I am
Why do you shun me so?
Weary of your separation, I am.

You've veiled your face
You've dishevelled your hair
You've abandoned people
Just as secluded, I am

You're the milk and you're the honey
You're the tree and you're the fruit
You are the sun and you are the moon
A speck, an iota, I am.

You're the palm and you're the date
You are the nectar-lipped beloved
A distinguished master, you, dear love,
An insolent slave, I am.

You are the Mecca and you are the One
You're the temple and you're the shrine
You're the beloved, the honored one
The miserable lover I am.

"Come to me!"
Love said alluringly
"Free of pride and pretense,
Manifestation of the One, I am."

Tahereh is but floating dust at your feet
Drunk by the wine of your face,
awaiting your blessing
A confessing sinner, I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home