Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Monday, December 04, 2006

In Search of Pomegranates



'Tis autumn yet again, the season for my all time favorite fruit, the juicy pomegranate. However, in Scottsdale, pomegranates are a rarity. Indeed, Shahrzad has been frequenting the local Safeway and Costco, asking them why they have such small little pomegranates with such prices as $3 per fruit! When we lived in Virginia, we had them cheaper and larger, and it is a shame to realize that the ones in Virginia were actually grown in California! Two years ago, when in Haifa, Israel, Shahrzad and I would buy pomegranates from the Arab market (they call them Romaan)... Two of them made 1 kilogram!

Another fruit I miss is the sour cherry, or Albaloo. I figured I would leave a picture of a typical grocer in Iran to give you a flavor of the price and size of fruits there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home