Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

به تو چه

Khazen Bakhtiari was a little known poet in 19th Century Persia. A mystic and revolutionary, he wrote many great poems. One of my favorites is the one entitled "Be to Cheh," literally conveying, "What is it to you?" He has written this piece in response to the onslaught of criticism from his adversaries and for accusing him of apostasy for departing from Islamic thought and embracing a new belief system. Here is the original in Persian:


زاهدا من که به میخانه نشستم به تو چه
ساغر باده بود بر کف دستم به تو چه

تو که مشغول مناجات و دعایی چه به من
من که شب تا به سحر یکسره مستم به تو چه

تو اگر ساغر رندان بشکستی چه به من
من اگر توبه ی صد ساله شکستم به تو چه

تو به محراب نشستی احدی گفت چرا
من به میخانه اگر باده پرستم به تو چه

اتش دوزخ اگر روی به ما و تو کند
تو که خشکی چه به من من که تر هستم به تو چه

گفته بودی شده گمراه به عالم خازن
جان من هر چه تو گویی همه هستم به تو چه

O pious one! If I sat in a tavern, what is it to you?
Held the chalice of wine on my palm, what is it to you?

I mind not if you are immersed in prayers all day,
From dusk to dawn, If I am intoxicated, what is it to you?

If you broke the chalice of the lovers, I mind not.
If I break a one hundred-year covenant, what is it to you?

When you led the prayers at the mosque, did anyone object?
If I worship the goblet at the tavern, what is it to you?

If we both face the fire of hell,
I mind not your dryness, but if I am wet, what is it to you?

You have said that Khazen has gone astray from the straight path,
O my dear! All that you say, I am! What is it to you?

1 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grand father.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home