Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Tribute to the Darvish Family

In August of 1996, when I first moved to Charlottesville to further my undergraduate studies, I joined the mailing list for the International Center at the University of Virginia. In one of the programs at the Center, I met a fascinating couple named Shahrzad and Kurosh Darvish. The Darvishes were too young to be my adopted parents, but certainly they served the role of older brother and sister. They were knowledgeable in many fields including Persian poetry and literature, Western and Eastern music, and even the occasional politics! They both came from the intellectual elite of Iran and I am most proud to have rubbed shoulders which such a wonderful family. We had many memorable times together and they were always the life of any gathering. This summer, their time in Charlottesville came to an end and they departed for Philadelphia, where Kurosh joined the faculty at Temple University and Shahrzad continued with her work in infection control.

A few weeks ago, we paid them and their lovely children a visit at their beautiful new home in Bryn Mawr, PA. You may find some pictures of that memorable day below. I have also included a couple of pictures from a party they held welcoming my new bride and her family to Charlottesville last year.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home