Scribbles of a Persian Anesthesiologist

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Parting with my shoes

"Arthis" may not ring a bell to anyone. It is no Nike or Reebok, but it was the brand name for a cheap pair of shoes I picked out in a downtown Tehran shoe store nearly 12 years ago. I did not think much of the brand name. They just seemed comfortable and appropriate for the occasional hiking trip I would make with friends on the trails of Darakeh North of Tehran. They also were my companion when I enrolled in an aerobics class with my long time friend and neighbor, Babak Mokri.

Above all, this pair has a very special significance. I wore these shoes on my expedition across the mountains of Azerbaijan to freedom. I never wore them again, as if there was a trace of Iranian soil still interlaced in the very fabric and soles of the shoes. But I made sure I held onto them, both as a reminder and an inspiration. I have moved four times and everytime, I latched onto these shoes.

Today, I parted with the shoes that I have carried for 12 years. I am getting rid of "junk" as I prepare for my next move and this time... I will have to go without my cherished shoes. I believe that they have served their purpose very well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home